Capilla de las Franciscas Descalzas (Video)
The monastery is part of the artistic and religious heritage of Ciudad Rodrigo. It was built in 1739 with the support of Franciscan Bishop Gregorio Tellez. In 1810, the French invasion forced the Franciscan nuns to leave, and the complex was then converted into a military barracks. The nuns returned in 1819 but were forced to leave again in the confiscation of 1836. The highlights of the construction are the baroque facade flanked by two columns, the symbol of the Sacred Heart, and the shield of Castile and León. The convent was a public jail until the 1960s and is now a shelter for the elderly.